- Paul Michael Sneed
- Brazilian literature and culture
- Name Paul Michael Sneed
- Position Associate Professor
- Dept. Hispanic Language and Literature
- Major Brazilian literature and culture
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact +82-2-880-4176
Brazilian literature and culture
- Ph.D., Portuguese & History, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2003.
- M.A., Arts-Portuguese, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1995.
- B.A., Political and Social Thought, University of Virginia, 1992.
- Appointed at Seoul National University, 2014.
- Director of Development, Amazon Valley Academy(AVA), Brazil, 2013-2014.
- Assistant Professor of Portuguese, University of Kansas, 2007-2013.
- Assistant Professor of Portuguese, San Diego State University, 2005-2007.
- Assistant Professor of Spanish and Portuguese, University of Oklahoma, 2004-2005.
- Visiting Lecturer of Spanish and Portuguese, University of Oklahoma, 2003-2004.
- Teaching Assistant of Portuguese and Spanish, UW-Madison, 1993-2003.
- Machine Gun Voices: Favelas and Utopia in Brazilian Gangster Funk. (Forthcoming, Seoul National University Press, spring 2019)
- “The Co-Existentialism of Chico Science and Brazil’s Manguebeat.” Latin American Research Review, forthcoming fall 2019.
- “Space and Relationality in Rio’s Favelas: Asfalto and Comunidade.” Revista Asiática de Estudios Iberoamericanos. 29.3 (2018): 61-93.
- “Chico Science + 20: Coexistencialismo versus Canibalismo no Manguebeat”, Latin American Music Review (2016)
- “NGO-Action: Urban Activism in Brazilian Film and Society”, Revista Iberoamericana (2015)
- “Infotainment and Encounter in the Pacification of the Rocinha Favela.” Interface: A Journal for and about Social Movements (2013)
- “Acts of Love: Popular Performance and Community Encounters in the Favela.” Studies in Latin American Popular Culture (2013)
- “Favela Utopias: The Bailes Funk in Rio’s Crisis of Social Exclusion and Violence.” Latin American Research Review (2008)
- “Bandidos de Cristo: Representations of the Power of Criminal Factions in Rio’s Proibidão Funk.” Latin American Music Review (2007)
- “Delírio and Divertissment: Pascaline Allegories in Machado de Assis.” Hispania (2006)